Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Empty Bowls? No...Bowls of Memories


I was making some birthday and Father's Day treats on Saturday, dirtying many bowls, and I got thinking about my childhood. Do any of you have certain foods, clothes, or items that remind you of special things? While I filled bowls with all sorts of things, I started thinking about bowls that reminded me of my childhood. I couldn't find pictures of these but some of you may remember them.

* The BIG yellow Tupperware bowl - aka "THE SCRAP BOWL" "MOM'S POPCORN FLIPPING BOWL" This bowl was huge and for our family it sat in the corner of the counter on occasion. Because of living on a farm, we would scrape our plates into it instead of the trash so the scraps could feed the pigs. Yum, I know. :) When we didn't have pigs the bowl was cleaned and on Friday nights and Sunday evenings it was full of fresh popped popcorn. My mom would sprinkle on the salt and toss and flip that popcorn like a pro. No pieces would fall on the ground, it was amazing!

*The iridescent blue bowl - aka "THE JELLO BOWL" This bowl was used on special occasions. It was rather large for a jello bowl but with 8 kids in the family, large was a theme. The best was when my mom would whip us fresh whipping cream from the milk straight from the cow and top the whole thing with it. YUM!

*The silver bowl in the cereal bowl pile - aka "DADS CEREAL BOWL" My dad would eat his cereal from a larger than normal bowl. It was usually some shredded wheat. On occasion that same bowl would be used for bread and milk with white sugar sprinkled on top, or cake with milk on top, two of my dad's treats. The taste of either makes me think of him, especially with lemon cake and milk.

Just empty bowls? No, bowls of memories.

1 comment:

Jen West said...

Our favorite bowls were the big silver ones. They were used for sugared popcorn and also sliding down the stairs onto a big pile of pillows. Good memory prompt!